A Kind Capsule Wardrobe
How many times do you walk into your closet and feel like you have nothing to wear? Do you get stressed looking at the mess? Do you feel ‘blah’ about what you’ve got goin’ on in there?
These are questions we ask ourselves. Rarely do people walk into their closet and feel calm, excited, and empowered.
Many people shop excessively trying to find happiness, deal with emotional distress, and/or to escape from stressful situations. With excessive shopping no matter what the reason we end up with a cluttered closet full of items packed into every nook and cranny and maybe even some items in storage . . . AND NOTHING GOES TOGETHER.
A capsule wardrobe may be the solution.
What the heck is a capsule wardrobe (also called an intentional or minimalist wardrobe)? Ideally, a capsule wardrobe is a well-curated mini-collection of quality items that reflect your lifestyle, personality, and values. A wardrobe that will simplify your life.
What are the benefits? More time, money, and energy for the things that really matter in life. You get to spend less time deciding what to wear, less time shopping, less time doing laundry, less money spent on clothes you don’t completely love or wear, and ultimately less stress. It makes getting dressed much easier because every piece reflects your signature style and makes you feel good.
How can I put together a capsule wardrobe? There isn't a 'right' way to have a capsule wardrobe. You can put your own spin on it! Some people will have an all season capsule wardrobe of around 75 pieces and it fulfills their needs for a whole year. You can have a '2 season' capsule wardrobe or a '4 season' each with 20 (or even 60) pieces each. You could include accessories and shoes into that count or not. Create a wardrobe that makes you light up when you walk into your closet every day!
Here are some tips and tricks to help you get started:
- Define your signature style and embrace it.
- Empty out your entire closet onto your bed and ONLY put back the clothes that you absolutely love. If you do not love it swap, donate, or sell it. Remember, someone else may love or need it.
- Determine your lifestyle needs and develop a list of wardrobe items you will need for the next 3 months (or for the upcoming season). Add in your current pieces.
- What is the weather like where you live?
- What outfits do you need to wear to work?
- Do you have any events or vacations coming up that you need to plan outfits for?
- Look for (p)inspiration. Pinterest has some great capsule wardrobe ideas.
- Start looking for pieces to purchase to complete your capsule wardrobe. We prefer you look for ethical pieces, and more times than not, they are a better quality. Also, look for items you will love to wear for at least a few years and make sure they fit well if not, have them tailored. Make sure they go well together (think color palette, layering, and mix & match).
- Get inspiration or follow to a ‘tee’ the plan from “How to Build a Capsule Wardrobe” from the blog UNFANCY! We love it!
A capsule wardrobe is not for everyone and the concept is not to bash our current way of shopping but to make people more aware of their good and bad habits. We want to inspire you to try something new if your current closet situation is not working for you.